AXON already has a strong client base with Swiss-based global and European head offices of large and medium size businesses. Consequently, we are looking to hire a senior consultant (preferably based in either Basel or Zurich) who can build business with Swiss-based head offices and also be our ‘boots on the ground’ for clients there.
This role will be heavily focused on business development, as well as working on client business day to day (as is the case with all of our senior consultants across the firm). The position is being hired primarily to expand our Swiss-based business, rather than to support current business, although there may be some role in existing programs. While this role would be part of the London operation, the plan over time would be to build a small team that would be integrated into the wider AXON network.
As the business evolves, so too will the role, and it is therefore essential that the person be flexible, entrepreneurial and able to work closely in a team, despite being located remotely. The ideal candidate will be both autonomous and highly communicative with colleagues—as comfortable hopping on a call or on Skype as they would walk over to someone’s desk if sitting in the same office. The candidate will also have a long-term vision for growing the business combined with a ‘here and now’ understanding and prioritization of what needs to be done to achieve the vision. The candidate should have a strong network in the Swiss pharma/device/biotech industry and be comfortable leveraging that network as well as knocking on new doors to gain potential contacts and clients.
The ideal candidate
The ideal candidate will have:
- Extensive experience in healthcare marketing, medical affairs, medical communications or public relations. Market access also could be of interest
- Track record in client-service excellence and relationship-building and/or deep healthcare knowledge and specialized expertise Client-service experience may come from supporting internal customers
- Widely respected by peers in the industry
- University degree or equivalent
- Fluent written and spoken English due to the international nature of our business. An ability to speak German is desirable, but not essential
Note: the following job description is based on our expectations of a Director within the firm, but the role will evolve to be based more on the specific needs of setting up an office in a new market.
- Drive new business strategy and plan for expanding our business in Switzerland. This can come from new projects with existing clients, or totally new clients
- Work closely with colleagues in London and other offices to support business development initiatives
- Identify, respond to and lead new business pitches/opportunities
- Maintain an active presence in the communications and/or business community through networking, professional associations, committee work, speaking platforms, placed articles and media exposure
- Grow client relationships by recognizing and capitalizing on emerging opportunities, including an ability to cross-sell services from one area of AXON business to another.
- Initiate, develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the industry in Switzerland and globally
- Demonstrate a strong grasp of current events and the healthcare landscape and an understanding of how they provide context for clients’ and our own business
- Set and manage client expectations
- Identify and manage issues and develop solutions to complex problems
- Establish and maintain relationship of trust with clients
- Deliver astute counsel in a firm and confident manner
- Assume ultimate responsibility for quality control on all projects that they lead
- Conduct post-project reviews with a partner and the team to assess the client relationship
- Ensure appropriate level of partner participation in client relationships
- Optimize resources by leveraging skill sets and expertise from across the AXON and AVENIR GLOBAL network
- Over time, build a Swiss-based team in line with the opportunities/need
- Play an active role in coaching, training and facilitating professional development of staff
- Exemplify and actively foster an environment of teamwork and cooperation
General and Financial
- Contribute to establishing the strategic direction of AXON by participating in the strategic- and business-planning process
- Play a lead operational role in projects that are financially significant or of strategic importance
- Add value to AXON by taking responsibility for the company’s operations and development of products and services targeting Swiss-based clients/prospects and clients/prospects in other markets
- Understand and use appropriate financial and management tools to achieve client and AXON objectives
- Manage the achievement of billable targets on an individual basis, and over time ensure a Swiss-based team achieves its targets
- Contribute to achieving financial performance objectives of the company
- Responsible for the recruitment of new staff in line with opportunities, working closely with senior leadership in London
- Personally responsible for mentoring and long-term career development of staff
- As team builds, manage HR issues under his/her responsibility as they arise
General and Financial
- Sound operational and financial management skills
- Demonstrated creative capabilities and ability to recognize and facilitate creativity in others
- Demonstrated professional/technical leadership across multiple, complex and diverse projects
- High-level strategic writing skills
- Comfortable with developing engaging PowerPoint presentations
- Superior presentation and facilitation skills
- Strong listening and analytical skills
- Proven project management skills in resource allocation, budget management and project prioritization
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to network effectively
- Consultancy selling capabilities – understand people’s needs and provide solutions
- Solid marketing and business development skills
- Perceived as a thought leader in area of specialty; speaks, writes and instructs
- Well-developed skills in:
- performance reviews
- professional development
- recruitment and selection
- Exemplifies the AVENIR GLOBAL values of quality, innovation, respect, collaboration, integrity, responsibility and commitment
- Entrepreneurial skills including ability to spot opportunities, be flexible, act quickly and build resources to address specific needs
- While the role will be fully integrated into the wider AXON operations, it is essential that the individual be a self-starter, capable of working on their own at times, while also involving team members as appropriate
- Strong organisational skills, including ability to prioritize and balance multiple priorities and demands
- Team player; willing to share information and ideas
- Flawless attention to detail and excellent quality-control skills
- Professional attitude and demeanor
- Works with a sense of urgency and can work under reasonable pressure
- Adaptable to different client situations and cultures
Please note that the successful candidate must have permission to work in Switzerland by the start of their employment.
As well as the basic salary, great social events and a culture of continual learning, our competitive benefits package* includes:
- 25 days’ holiday (with the ability for it to rise to a maximum of 30 days alongside length of service)
- Employer pension contributions
- Private medical insurance (for you and your family)
- Travel insurance (for you and your family)
- An annual ‘wellness’ benefit of £150 after one year’s service.
- Paid sabbaticals after 5 years’ service.
*Benefits are contingent on successful completion of probation period.
If this sounds like you, please get in touch with our HR team via [email protected] to find out more.